Hello and welcome back to my blog, ‘Death to Commuting’, a blog that will help you make money and start living the laptop lifestyle. This is another ‘Ask Mark‘ training video. The question is, “How long does it take to make money with affiliate marketing?”
The video is quite old but the basic principles that Mark talks about never change.
If you are in a hurry and would like to skip to the reason you are here, even if you don’t know it yet. Click this link and you can sign up for Affilorama’s awesome training. It’s 100% free, so you have everything to gain and absolutely nothing to lose!
How Long to Make Money with Affiliate Marketing
So, Sarah is the person who asks the question, “How long does it take to make money with affiliate marketing?” The main reason she’s asking is that she has been doing affiliate marketing for three weeks and still hasn’t made a sale. Yes, you read that right. THREE weeks!
Mark starts off by making an important point. Affiliate marketing is all about building a business around a product or a set of products, or a service. It should go without saying, but I’ll say it anyway, that the products need to be something people want. If you’re trying to sell Halloween related products in February, I’m pretty sure you will get zero sales. So firstly, to make money with affiliate marketing, you have to have an evergreen product is vital.
Next, Mark brings up the two perennial problems all affiliate marketers have.
- How to find people who are interested in the product (or service) you are promoting?
- How to persuade them to buy your product before they decide to leave the page?
Ranking Your Website
The problem is, three weeks is not enough time to get ranking in Google, unless your SEO is pretty damn good. Therefore, if you want to get on the front page of Google, you’ll need to pay for traffic.
Just a little aside here. It is interesting (to me anyway) that Mark mentions The Big Three advertisers as Google, Yahoo, and MSN (who?). No mention of Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, or any of the other social media platforms we now use without thinking twice.
Anyway, I digress. What Mark is talking about is PPC, or Paid-Per-Click advertising, of course, which is still vastly relevant today. The advertising hasn’t changed, just where you put it.
Finally, Mark talks about 3 to 6 months to get ranking. However, I think that has changed quite a lot these days. As long as you are using decent software like AffiloTools or Traffic Travis, and you work at sorting out your SEO, your pages can rank a lot quicker these days. So secondly, you site pages have to be ranking to make money with affiliate marketing.
Getting People To Buy
That’s just one part of the problem. The other part, which is perhaps even more difficult, is to get people to buy from you. You can have all the visitors in the world but if you don’t put everything else in place, you’ll still not make any sales.
A very basic example of this is that quite often people think that what they are writing is so awesome that visitors will read all the way to the bottom, where the banners, and the affiliate links, are. Sadly, that is very far from the truth.
According to Chartbeat, 55% of old pageviews get less than 15 seconds of attention. Additionally, Nielsen found that visitors only read about 20% of the text, which makes me wonder if anyone is reading this!
You have got to think like your visitors and take action to get them clicking your links. An obvious example is to make sure you have a link to whatever you are promoting ‘above the fold’.
Make it sound natural though and don’t bother with banners. Banner blindness has become so bad as to make banners almost irrelevant. Look how I have done my first paragraph above for an example.
And finally, Mark says that you have to set up your website properly to make sales if you want to make money with affiliate marketing. Here is an article I wrote the other day about how to increase your click-throughs.
Mark finishes off by finally answering the question saying it will take anything from one week (using PPC) to 16 weeks (if you are doing only free traffic), to start making sales.
To summarize, the two major factors in making sales in affiliate marketing is to get people to your website and to get them buying what you are promoting.
It goes without saying that I hugely recommend Mark Ling and his awesome Affilorama program. There is a paid part to it, of course, but you can also get a huge amount of training for free. This is by far the best way to get help to make money with affiliate marketing. And when I say free, I mean it. No need to pay for anything…ever.
Check out all the terrific things you get when you sign up for Affilorama’s free training program.
- A lot more than A hundred no cost training lessons: their instructional classes are brimming with actionable content on a wide range of concepts like affiliate marketing, email marketing, SEO and PPC.
- It is absolutely free: there is no hidden charge or payments…ever!
- Gain knowledge from the professionals: on top of training lessons created by Mark Ling, participants have access to their collection of interviews and training videos from other professionals within the business.
Precisely What Is Included?
- A hundred or so+ videos that educate individuals actionable material on a variety of topics (SEO, PPC, site building, email marketing and more)
- A virtual “lesson book” to keep track of the videos you have learned, maintaining you on course.
- Access to Affilorama’s boards, one of the leading internet marketing forums on the internet.
- Ability to access their video tutorials and webinars, where they chat directly to some of the biggest players in network marketing.
Who Is It For?
- Novice internet marketers that want classes targeted at brand new affiliate marketers (for instance their class “Affiliate Marketing for Beginners”).
- Intermediate affiliate marketers that want training lessons on more technical matters for instance SEO, paid traffic and outsourcing.
In the event you haven’t registered with Affilorama, all I can say is, “What exactly are you hesitating for? It’s free!” And in contrast to every other online training program on the web, when it says free, it genuinely means it. Sign up today using this link or fill in the boxes below and I’ll send you a load more reasons to sign up.
If you would like to watch more awesome training videos that I have on my site, click this link.